I have been trying to get a few Project Linus quilt tops quilted, and this is one I did a couple days ago. This was such fun to do, starting with a small scrap in the center of the block and working out from there. I may have to do that again. I love the way it turned out, but part of it may be that I really love the sashing and border fabrics and binding that I had and used. I am trying very hard to use some of the stuff I have and I have been pretty successful.
I have posted before about our daughter-in-law having breast cancer and her brave fight against it. Yesterday was the annual Race for the Cure in Portland, and our other daughter-in-law put in a lot of work organizing a team called "Tonya's Team." There were about 80 who signed up for the team, although not all got to come do the walk. As a team, we all did the 5K (3.1 miles) walk together in downtown Portland. For the most part the weather cooperated and it was sunny and great walking weather. Toward the end of the walk we had a couple rain showers, but that didn't dampen our spirits. A huge crowd of people packed the waterfront park. I heard it estimated that with all the voluneers, organizers, runners, walkers, etc., there were over 40,000.
This picture is Tonya in her "survivor" shirt and cap with all the children on the team. There were several entire families there walking together. It was very inspiring. I didn't mention, but our son Kurt designed a great T-shirt that said "Team Tonya," and most of our team bought one.
This picture is Kurt and Tonya and their family.
What a great picture after all they have been through!
Below are hubby and I and our two sons and their wives and our four darling grandchildren. Have I ever mentioned that we have four darling grandchildren?? (tee hee)
After completing my landscape quilt, I decided I better get some machine quilting done and complete a Project Linus quilt. This is the latest that I've done. On the Connecting Threads website a few months ago they had a flying geese quilt-along, and I decided to use up some of my batiks making flying geese. I'm quite pleased with the results, and hopefully it's a quilt that someone will enjoy.
Well, after what seems like days of fussy cutting and miles of thread, my landscape wallhanging is complete. It measures about 38 by 44 inches. I have to say I now like it. I wasn't sure all the time I was working on it, but it turned out pretty well, I think. Despite being pleased with it, I don't think I will ever do another one. It is just not the type of thing I really enjoy working on.
In my last post I wondered if summer had gone already, and I am pleased to report that we have had a beautiful week, with weather in the 70s, and that will help us get a few tomatoes off our plants before it gets real chilly.
I am now doing the quilting on a Project Linus quilt, so that is something that I definitely enjoy doing.
Well, I am about as inconsistent with my blogging as anyone could be.
So far September has been quilt cool - more so than usual, and already some of the trees are changing color. Our summer was quite unusual - cooler than usual, with very few days that topped out over 90.
I think I may have mentioned (maybe not) that I was going to take a landscape quilting class. It was on two Saturdays in August. The picture below is the not-yet-finished result of that class. I am not yet decided on whether I even like it very much. It has been a very intense process, with LOTS of fussy cutting from several different fabrics, and then LOTS of gluing and then free-motion tacking down of the pieces with monofiliment thread, and then sandwiching and LOTS of quilting down the pieces. I have finally finished through that point, and still need to quilt the green between the fence posts, and the blue at the top. I can't see me doing this process again, as I have decided I am definitely more a traditional quilting/piecing person.