Monday, April 2, 2012

A Festival of Quilts

My friend Sue and I went to a quilt show in Portland on Saturday.  What a lot of eye candy we saw!  Here are a few photos.

 Isn't this just about the cutest thing ever at a quilt show?




As you can see, the above quilt won four top ribbons.  One was best piecing, another best machine quilting, and I think one was Judges' Choice, and I can't remember the other.  It was one of the most beautiful quilts I have ever seen.  The following two  photos show in more detail some of the work.  The quilter had placed some brown and blue crystals in a few strategic place, but did not overdo it at all.  I just love the border that she used - I think it's the storm at sea pattern, but I'm not sure.  It's definitely not a quick and easy border.



 This was a sampler that I liked.  


This was done by a lady I know (can't remember her last name - sorry Nidra).  It's a Judy Niemeyer pattern.  She did such a great job on it.


 The following quilts were made by Carol Brown, who was the featured quilter.  She loves hand applique and does an outstanding job with it.  We loved all her quilts, and when we were looking at the lasts one, she came up to us and asked to step further away so we could see how the star kind of explodes outward.  It did make quite a difference.  That quilt is made up of approximately 1-1/2 inch half-square triangles.  She said it was one of her early efforts and she didn't understand value like she does now.  It looks mighty good to me though!

 Love this paper pieced wall hanging.
 This landscape quilt has the look of an English cottage.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this glimpse of the show, how lucky you are to be able to see treasures like that in person.

    I like the sampler too and the unusual setting.

    Have a nice safe trip.

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List